This nut-free dairy-free pesto skips the nuts and includes hulled hemp seeds instead; they are commonly called hemp hearts. Yes they are legal, and no they can’t get you high. Hemp hearts have a nutty flavor and a buttery texture similar to pine nuts. The resulting flavor of this pesto is fresh and bright, and rivals other traditional versions. Considered by many to be a super food, hemp hearts are a good source of essential fatty acids in addition to other important nutrients.
Nut-free dairy-free pesto is a snap to make since everything is blended in the food processor. Washing the basil and removing the leaves from the stems probably takes the longest, but even that is fast and easy.
- If you are planning on dressing pasta, start by puting a pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Add the pesto ingredients to your food processor but don’t turn it on yet.
- When the pasta is ready, turn on the food processor and process until the pesto is at the desired consistency.
- Dress the pasta and serve.
Nut-Free Dairy-Free Pesto
- food processor
- 2 ounces fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 cup hulled hemp seeds, also called hemp hearts
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor bowl and process until it's at the desired consistency, scraping the sides with a soft spatula as needed.
Optional Omnivore Variation
Serve with grated cheese such as Pecorino Romano or Parmesan.
But wait – pesto isn’t just for dressing pasta! It can be used in so many other ways. Enjoy it as a dip, alternate pizza sauce, sandwich spread, salad dressing, tomato spread, soup garnish, and more. Feel free to share other ways you enjoy serving it in the comment box below.