Heirloom tomato season – one of my favorite times of the year! And Easy Caprese Salad is my absolute favorite way to eat these babies. This year Jamie planted Black Krim and Black Prince heirloom varieties, as well as other eating and canning tomatoes; they’ll be ready in about a month. In the meantime, New Morning Market, our local healthy food store, has been supplying us with perfectly ripe organic heirlooms. I truly hope you are either growing heirloom tomatoes or have a source to buy them too.
My daughter and I both agree that we could eat heirloom tomatoes, cashew mozzarella, and basil with every meal for the rest of our lives. My son thinks that’s a reach, but we know he secretly feels the same 😉 Too bad vine ripened heirloom tomatoes aren’t available year round.
Easy Caprese Salad
- 1 medium heirloom tomato
- 4 small pinches Himalayan sea salt, optional
- 4 slices cashew cheese mozzarella, such as Miyoko's Creamery brand
- 4 to 8 basil leaves
- Slice tomato into four slabs; sprinkle each slab with a pinch of salt.
- Arrange sliced mozzarella and basil leaves on top.
- These tomato–cheese–basil delights are also marvelous when drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and/or authentic balsamic vinegar.
- Miyoko’s Creamery brand cashew cheese is perfect for this recipe because the texture is very similar to fresh mozzarella.
Check out my post, Growing Herbs in Containers to learn how we grew this basil for making pesto, caprese salad, and more.