This fancy quinoa pesto recipe proves that pesto isn’t just for pasta! We’ve actually been enjoying pesto every which way lately since the gardens are in full production and we have plenty of basil and other herbs just begging to be picked. We also have plenty of garlic scapes tucked away in the refrigerator still; garlic scapes are wonderful in pesto!
As you can see in the photo below, quinoa pesto can be molded into a fancy, company worthy dish. The best part is, whether you’re making this recipe on a busy work night, or for a dinner party – it couldn’t be easier.
If you plan on forming the quinoa into a mold, consider using a pesto recipe that includes some oil to help it slide out of the cup/bowl. Tonight I altered my Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto recipe by adding a cup of basil leaves. Another favorite is my Vegan Nut-Free Pesto recipe which substitutes hemp hearts for nuts.
- Make pesto of your choice
- Cook quinoa using the “pasta method”
- Mix the pesto into the quinoa; form into a mold if desired
Fancy Quinoa Pesto
- Covered saucepan
- Food processor or blender
- Small bowl or mold for forming the quinoa
- 1 cup dry white quinoa
- 1 cup pesto
- Make pesto of your choice.
- Cook the quinoa using the "pasta method."
- Using a soft spatula, gently mix the pesto into the cooked quinoa.
- Form using a mold if desired; garnish with a small sprig of basil.
To Form Quinoa Pesto Into a Mold
- Evenly spoon the quinoa pesto into a small bowl; press gently so it is slightly compacted.
- Place your serving dish over the bowl, then flip it over.
- Tap the inverted bowl with a spoon on all sides before gently lifting.
This dish pairs really well with my Simply Green Beans and Mushrooms recipe 🙂