This summer whenever Jamie picked green beans, he also picked okra (the rows are side-by-side) and of course tomatoes. Finally one night my son and I came up with the idea to cook them together, and garnish with fresh dill. Oh my! Oh my! Green beans and okra cooked with garlic, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, and dill – who knew the combination would be so incredible! This is my absolute favorite way to eat okra now – heck it’s even my new favorite way to eat green beans 🙂 This version of greens beans and okra with dill even has the potential to convert okra haters into lovers!
- Saute garlic with spices
- Add tomatoes, green beans, and okra
- Simmer, covered, until tender
- Garnish with dill
Green Beans and Okra with Dill
- large covered skillet
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 pound green beans, fresh or frozen; trim each end, then cut into halves or thirds
- 8 to 10 medium-small okra; trim stem end, then slice longwise into thin matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill, optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat with a bit of garlic.
- When the garlic begins to gently sizzle add the remaining garlic, salt, and peppers. Cook, stirring often, for a few minutes until the garlic softens.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, green beans, and okra; bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes and okra cook down and the green beans are crisp tender.
- Garnish with dill and serve.