This is an Asian inspired colorful and bright tasting version of coleslaw with orange-ginger vinaigrette. Since it is no-mayo, it keeps well when refrigerated for about five days. My daughter often makes it on Monday and packs it for lunch as a side-dish all week long. Over time the cabbages lose their crispness; however, the flavor only gets better.
The orange-ginger vinaigrette is also delicious when tossed with garden salads. I suggest using Mandarin oranges if available.
Types of Mandarin Oranges
Citrus reticulata is a class of oranges commonly called Mandarin. They are fairly flat on both ends, have a sweet mild flavor, and are very easy to peel.
Mandarin orange hybrids or varieties include the following, and may be marketed under other names as well.
- W. Murcotts
- Prepare vegetables
- Make dressing
- Toss coleslaw with dressing
Coleslaw with Orange-Ginger Vinaigrette
For the Coleslaw
- 8 cups shredded green cabbage, core cabbage then cut into fairly thin shreds using a knife; cut long shreds in half
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage, core cabbage then cut into fairly thin shreds using a knife; cut long shreds in half
- 1/2 medium-sized sweet red onion, slice as thin as possible
- 2 to 3 large carrots, shred using the large holes of a box grater
- 2 Mandarin oranges, (or 1 Naval orange) cut into small bite-sized pieces
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sesame oil, or olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds, for garnish, optional
- Shred, slice, and cut vegetables as indicated – then place in a large bowl.
- Put all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk.
- Pour dressing over coleslaw and toss until well coated.
- When serving, garnish each portion with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Leftovers store well in the refrigerator.
- I suggest storing in canning jars. Flip over occasionally to marinate.
You can also find the Orange-Ginger Vinaigrette recipe here.