I used to make kale chips in my oven and then I discovered air fryer kale chips – they’re oil-free and take only 3 minutes to cook! That’s right folks, 3 minutes (well 6 if you count the 3 minutes spent preheating the air fryer).
Even though it’s a no frills recipe, I created a short video demonstrating how easy it is. Feel free to vary the spices used in the spice blend.
- Wash and dry kale; remove center stem and tear into pieces
- Air fry for a total of 3 minutes
- Sprinkle with spice blend
Air Fryer Kale Chips
- air fryer
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, aka Tuscan kale, Italian kale, dinosaur kale
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- Wash the kale leaves. Shake off the water then lay on a towel. Cover with a second towel to dry.
- While the kale is drying, prepare the spice blend. Put the garlic powder, cumin powder, paprika, and salt into a small bowl and stir.
- Remove the center stem from each kale leaf, then tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat air fryer at 325ºF for 3 minutes.Add kale to the air fryer basket; don't fill more 3/4 full.Cook for 1-1/2 minutes, pause the air fryer and shake the kale around, then cook for 1-1/2 more minutes. Pour onto a plate.Repeat this process until all of the kale is dried into chips.
- Sprinkle the kale chips with the spice blend, and enjoy!
- Smoked, sweet, or hot paprika can be used in the spice blend.
- If you don’t eat all of the kale chips right away, and some become limp, simply put them back in your preheated air fryer for about 30 seconds.
My son, Chris, bought me a Ninja base model for Christmas 2020 and it works great.
If you enjoy Air Fryer Kale Chips, you may also enjoy my Air Fryer Pakora recipe.