Healthy Ramen Noodle Bowl Recipe
Who knew ramen could be healthy?
Servings: 6 servings
- 64 ounces (2 quarts) low-sodium vegetable broth, such as Pacific Foods brand, or homemade
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (if using large shiitakes, cut the slices in half)
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 large carrot julienned or grated
- 1/2 to 1 small daikon radish julienned or grated
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 small zucchini grated
- 3 ramen noodle cakes, such as Lotus Foods Millet and Brown Rice Ramen, (look for the four-pack without the flavor packet)
- 2 Tablespoons chickpea miso paste, such as South River brand, or another miso paste of your choice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos, such as Coconut Secret brand
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cups chopped arugula or spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
Put the broth into a pot over high heat and cover. When it begins to boil, add the shiitake, sweet peas, carrot, daikon radish, and ginger root. Reduce the heat and simmer, mostly covered, for 3 minutes.
Add the uncooked ramen noodles and zucchini to the pot. After about a minute the noodles will begin to unfold; gently separate them with a fork. Cook for a few more minutes or until the noodles are just tender.
In the meantime, ladle 1 cup of the broth into a small bowl. Add the miso paste, Sriracha, and coconut aminos. Whisk until smooth, then return to the pot; stir.
Stir in the lime juice.
Place a handful of arugula or spinach in each serving bowl. Ladle soup over top, then garnish with scallions.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 425mg | Potassium: 396mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2887IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg