Servings: 4 servings
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 mild green chile pepper, diced (such as serrano)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes, evenly diced into either 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder, optional
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat with a bit of the onion. When the onion begins to sizzle, add the rest of the onion and the chile pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often.Add the garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, coriander, chile powder, turmeric, and salt . Cook for 30 seconds more, while stirring.
Add the potatoes and water to the pan. Cover and steam the potatoes until tender, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
When the potatoes are tender, stir in the lemon juice.Add the spinach to the pan. Cover and cook for about a minute, stir, then recover. Cook in this way until the spinach is wilted.
Stir in the garam masala.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 1021mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4315IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 3mg