Vegan Omelette Recipe
Surprise! It’s possible to make fabulous eggless omelettes!!
Servings: 6 Omelettes
- 3/4 cup red or yellow lentils (not split peas)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup nut-based ricotta, such as Kite Hill brand (or cream cheese)
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder (or chili powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter, such as Miyoko's brand
The night before
Measure the lentils and then sprinkle them slowly into a mesh strainer; watch carefully for dirt, pebbles, or other debris. Once you’ve added all of the lentils to the strainer, pick through them making sure you didn’t miss anything. Rinse well under cold running water and drain.
Put washed/drained lentils and 1-1/2 cups fresh water into a covered bowl and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning
Preheat small ceramic non-stick skillet over low heat.
Pour the lentils with water into your blender jar. Add the ricotta, ginger root, lime juice, and spices.
To cook each omelette, melt about 1 teaspoon of butter in the skillet. Blend the batter on high-speed until well blended and frothy. Using a dry measuring cup, measure 1/3 cup of the mixture and pour it into the skillet, covering the entire surface. Turn the heat up to medium.Arrange a good amount of the chopped spinach. Then arrange a smaller amount of the red onion and red pepper.Cover the pan and cook for about 4 minutes. Use a soft spatula to release the edges from the pan, then fold in half.Continue to cook, covered, for about 3 more minutes.
Repeat step 3 to cook the remaining omelettes. Blend the batter again, right before making each omelette. This will ensure that each omelette comes out light and airy.
If desired serve with fruit – and dress with your favorite sauce such as poblano sauce or creamy dill dressing.
- Important! This recipe will only work with red or yellow lentils. Don't attempt to make it with split peas or other colored lentils.
- If necessary, you can substitute nut-based cream cheese for the ricotta, such as Miyoko's or Kite Hill brands.
- Refrigerate leftover batter and cook the following morning.
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 5.25g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 149mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2279IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg