My version of Pasta Poblano is gluten-free vegan. In addition to being delicious, it's quick and easy to throw together even on a busy week night.
Servings: 6 servings
- 16 ounces brown rice spaghetti (or other pasta)
Poblano sauce ingredients
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk in the carton, such as So Delicious brand
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime (or lemon) juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 4 ounces plant-based cream cheese, such as Kite Hill brand chive cream cheese or Miyoko's brand scallion cream cheese
Put a large covered pot of water over high heat to be used for cooking the rice pasta. Use plenty of water (more water than you would use for wheat pasta).
Roast the poblano peppers. Immediately put them between two plates, or into a small casserole dish, and let them steam for 5 to 10 minutes. This will make them easier to peel. Peel the skins; remove the stems and seeds.
In the meantime, put the rest of the sauce ingredients into a high-speed blender. If you don't have a high-speed blender, see note below.When they're ready, add the poblanos (roasted, peeled, de-stemmed, and de-seeded). Right before serving, blend for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce is smooth, hot, and steamy.
Cook the spaghetti or other pasta until al dente. Stir rice spaghetti often, especially when you first put it into the boiling water, or it may stick together.
Drain pasta and return to the pot. Pour a generous amount of warmed sauce over pasta; toss and serve immediately.
Garnish with plenty of chopped cilantro.
- No high speed blender? No problem. You can use another blender or food processor. After blending/processing, warm up the sauce in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring often. Continue with step 4.
- As an option, when serving, arrange small dollops of cream cheese on top.
- You'll probably have about a cup of leftover sauce. Refrigerate and enjoy with other Mexican-style dishes.
Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 0.75g | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 179mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 310IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 0.75mg