This healthy ramen noodle bowl recipe is made with healthy broth ingredients – no MSG! The broth includes coconut aminos (sweet), soy-free miso (salty), Sriracha (spicy), and lime juice (sour) for a balanced and delicious flavor. Packaged MSG-laden ramen has gotten a bad rap, and rightfully so. This version is on the opposite end of the spectrum but is almost as quick and easy to prepare. It’s perfect for work nights when you don’t have as much time to spend in the kitchen, but you still want to provide a home-cooked dinner.
Healthy Ramen Noodle Bowl is low in calories, so you’ll want to serve it with a large salad or other side dish to round out the meal. One bowl has a fair amount of sodium, however, so choose low-sodium accompaniments.
If you are cooking for a mixed diet household, you can easily add cooked shrimp (or even cooked chicken) to the omnivore’s bowl when serving.
- You should prepare the mushrooms and all of the veggies in advance.
- Once everything is prepared it will take less than 10 minutes to cook the mushrooms, veggies, and noodles in the flavored broth.
- Add the acid (lime juice) at the very end before you serve.
- Serve over greens, then garnish.
South River brand makes high quality miso pastes, plus they are packaged in glass jars. I’m grateful they make a few soy-free and gluten-free miso paste options.
Healthy Ramen Noodle Bowl
- soup pot
- 64 ounces 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth, such as Pacific Foods brand, or homemade
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (if using large shiitakes, cut the slices in half)
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 large carrot julienned or grated
- 1/2 to 1 small daikon radish julienned or grated
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 small zucchini grated
- 3 ramen noodle cakes, such as Lotus Foods Millet and Brown Rice Ramen, (look for the four-pack without the flavor packet)
- 2 Tablespoons chickpea miso paste, such as South River brand
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos, such as Coconut Secret brand
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cups chopped arugula or spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Put the broth into a pot over high heat and cover. When it begins to boil, add the shiitake, sweet peas, carrot, daikon radish, and ginger root. Reduce the heat and simmer, mostly covered, for 3 minutes.
- Add the uncooked ramen noodles and zucchini to the pot. After about a minute the noodles will begin to unfold; gently separate them with a fork. Cook for a few more minutes or until the noodles are just tender.
- In the meantime, ladle 1 cup of the broth into a small bowl. Add the miso paste, Sriracha, and coconut aminos. Whisk until smooth, then return to the pot; stir.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Place a handful of arugula or spinach in each serving bowl. Ladle soup over top, then garnish with scallions.
Optional Omnivore Variations:
Add three cooked shrimp or a bit of cubed cooked chicken to each omnivore’s bowl when serving.